If there is one word to describe how businesses are changing in 2013, that word would be, “paperless.” Thanks to the continual growth and acceptance of cloud-based computing, more and more businesses are reducing their reliance on paper and instead, turning to the dependable, organizational benefits of web-based business solutions.
Why Paperless Payroll Makes Better Sense
Let’s face it, you took the initiative to start your own business and follow your dream, which probably means you have a passion for what you do. But, there are a lot of aspects of running a business that do not fall under your specialty, and these tasks can take away from the enjoyment of business ownership.
Managing your company payroll is often one of these tasks. Whether you’re a small business and you’re trying to handle the payroll services yourself, or your business is large enough to have an accounting department of its own, choosing to run a paperless payroll system offers many benefits, some of which may be surprising.
Go Paperless and Save More than Just Time and Money
Choosing paperless payroll benefits your business, your employees, and of course, the planet. But before we discuss the business benefits of switching to an easier and more delightful way of processing your employee paychecks, take a look at these staggering facts compiled by the EPA:
- Paper consumption has tripled since 1960 and Americans generate 85 million tons of paper into the waste stream
- The U.S. pulp and paper industry is the 2nd largest consumer of energy
- EPA estimates that more than 400 million ink and 100 million toner cartridges end up in landfills each year
- The average U.S. officer worker prints 10,000 pages per year
- Producing one ton of copy paper releases 5,690 pounds of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. That’s the equivalent of 6 months of automobile exhaust fumes
- Paper produces methane gas as it decomposes in landfills, and methane has approximately 20 times the global-warming potential of carbon dioxide
American businesses go through an unbelievable amount of paper on a daily basis, a large portion of it coming from processing payroll, filing government forms, and paying taxes. Just think how much paper waste can be saved if more companies adopted paperless strategies! And if those stats aren’t enough reason, after reading the following benefits, we think you’ll agree that paperless is not only the way of the future, but it’s how modern businesses should be operating right now.
Paperless Benefits to the Employer
- All of your employee payroll data is in one place
- There’s no need to print, fax, or phone time sheets to a payroll provider
- You can process payroll on your own time, from any device
- No special trips needed to drop off forms or paychecks
- Easy collaboration with your accountant for tax preparation purposes
- State and Federal tax filings and payments can be automated so you’re always compliant
- Paperless payroll helps cut down on paper and waste in the office
- Business costs associated with printer, toners, ink cartridges, etc. will be significantly reduced
- Eliminates the need for filing cabinets so you can increase the amount of usable space in the office
- You can conduct business in a mobile environment for faster results
- Reduces the time your employees spend searching for documents
- Securely backs up all of your employee payroll data
- Allows you to promote your business as being “eco-friendly”
Paperless Benefits to the Employee
- No more waiting in line at the bank to deposit their paycheck
- Funds are immediately available on the pay date
- No more worries about lost or stolen paychecks
- Paystubs are available online 24/7
- Fewer payroll mistakes
- No more having to come in to work on a day off to pick up a check
Paperless Payroll is Simply Delightful
If you are interested in adopting a more modern, delightful way of managing your payroll, Gusto (formerly ZenPayroll) has the solution you need. We provide an easier and more efficient way to handle your company’s payroll and employment-related taxes, and best of all – it’s paperless. We can have your new paperless payroll system up and running in minutes and we’ll even give you your a month of service for free. Check it out!