Q: What Is a CP-575 Letter?

Form CP-575 is an IRS notice confirming that you have been granted an EIN (Employer Identification Number). The EIN is sometimes also referred to as FEIN, or Federal Employer Identification Number. The CP-575 letter includes important tax information about your business including your:

  • EIN, a nine-digit number used for filing your federal payroll taxes
  • Business name
  • Business’s official filing address
  • Federal tax forms your company is required to file (such as Form 941, Form 940, and Form 1120 in the example below)

Once you’ve applied for an EIN, the IRS will mail you a paper CP-575 letter. Here’s a sample Form CP-575 (click each page to zoom in):

Why do I need a CP-575 letter?

Form CP-575 is an important document because it serves as proof of all the things listed above. You’ll often need it to open business bank accounts, get payroll set up with your payroll provider, and communicate with certain government agencies. So once you’ve got it, be sure to keep it in a safe place.

What if I can’t find my CP-575?

Don’t panic. While the IRS won’t issue a new one, you can request the CP-575’s twin sister, the EIN verification letter known as a 147-C. Call 1-800-829-4933 and ask for a 147-C. You can use this new form as alternative proof of your businesses’ filing address, name, and EIN.

Fall in love with modern payroll

Here’s a sample 147-C letter:

147-C letter

Expert advice, right in your inbox.

Subscribe to get the latest articles, information, and advice to help you better run your small business. Delivered weekly, for free.


*Required fields

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top