Q: Oregon Business Grants and Loans: Funding for Oregon Businesses

Oregon boasts legislation that is very friendly to businesses and a high-quality workforce. If you’re considering launching your business in this inviting state—or you already own an Oregon-based biz—you’ve come to the right place. Below, you’ll find a list of business grants and loans that are only available to companies that operate within Oregon. Take a peek through the loans and grants below to discover if your business is eligible.  

Department or Agency: Business Oregon

Loan or Grant title: SBIR/STTR Application Support Grants

Business Oregon offers technical assistance grants each budget cycle to support Oregon small businesses preparing federal applications for Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) or Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grants. Oregon offers $5,000 grants, called Phase 0 and 00, that can be used to pay for technical consultants, writers, reviewers, legal counsel, and other out-of-pocket expenses associated with SBIR and STTR grant preparation. Please check the web page to see when the next funding cycle opens.

Department or Agency: Business Oregon

Loan or Grant title: Oregon Business Development Fund (OBDF)

Business Oregon offers two revolving loan programs for Oregon businesses pledging to create jobs in targeted sectors: manufacturing, processing, or distribution. Preference is given to organizations in rural or distressed areas, and to businesses with fewer than 100 employees. Loans are capped at $1,000,000 with a maximum term of 20 years. Application fees, collateral, and other rules apply. To begin the process, applicants should connect with a Business Finance Officer via the program’s webpage.

Department or Agency: Business Oregon

Loan or Grant title: Entrepreneurial Development Loan Fund

The Entrepreneurial Development Loan Fund supports Oregon startups, micro-enterprises, and small businesses that plan to launch or expand in Oregon. While all business sectors are invited to apply, the program has specific eligibility guidelines which include: 1) $1,500,000 in revenue in the calendar year prior to application, 2) Fewer than 25 full-time employees, and 3) at least 50% of the business must be owned by one or more individuals classified as severely disabled. Loans are capped at $1,000,000. Note, the amortization period must fall within the usable life of the assets being purchased with loan funds, not to exceed 10 years. See the program webpage for additional details and requirements.

Department or Agency: Oregon Department of Energy

Loan or Grant title: Rural and Agricultural Energy Audit Program

The Rural and Agriculture Energy Audit program offers grants to farms, ranches, and rural small businesses to help cover the costs of energy audits. Audits are performed by approved assessors who review energy use, as well as buildings, processes, and equipment. The goal is to find ways to be more energy efficient. The grant program covers 75% of the audit expense, with applicants paying the remaining 25% of the costs. Energy assessment costs vary depending on size and scope but typically range between $5,000 to 20,000. Interested applicants should submit an interest form on the program webpage.

Department or Agency: Business Oregon

Loan or Grant title: Commercialization Gap Fund

The Commercialization Gap Fund (CGF) exists to advance science and research-based innovations in Oregon, bridging early-stage funding gaps at companies in targeted industries. This fund prioritizes companies engaged in advanced manufacturing, active lifestyle, bioscience, medical devices, and natural resource industries. CGF anticipates that investments will further unlock other private funding for the organizations it supports. To be eligible, applicant companies must be based in Oregon, be pre-commercialized, and operate within the fund’s priority industries. For more information, contact the fund representative on the program’s webpage.

Back to top