May 27, 2022
The new world of work
Gusto’s team of economists recently took a look at the data behind remote and hybrid work trends, and what they discovered was “unambiguous” proof that the flexibility transition is underway. The following are some of the most telling figures:
- There’s been a 240% increase in the number of fully remote workers since 2021
- 6 in 10 companies now have at least one remote worker, many across state lines
- 35% of workers say location flexibility was the primary deciding factor when accepting their last job offer
- Being fully remote correlates to a 13% decrease in the odds of quitting within three months of hire
As Gusto’s Principal Economist Liz Wilke writes, “Flexibility has become nearly as important as benefits offerings to prospective workers.” If you’re looking to hire and retain top talent, the balancing act between worker flexibility and in-person collaboration now seems inevitable.
Accessibility for all
May 19 marked Global Accessibility Awareness Day. There are 1.3 billion people worldwide living with some form of disability, and while the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed to help enforce accommodations for customers and employees with disabilities, there’s still plenty of work to be done.
Accessibility means equal access to goods and services—and today, much of that exists in digital spaces, like the internet, websites, digital platforms, attachments, pages, apps, software, and hardware. Businesses can help make significant strides for people with disabilities by making web accessibility an urgent priority.
Learn how to get started improving your business’s website accessibility on our blog.
How to work with someone you don’t like
As they say, you can pick your friends, but you can’t pick your family—or your co-workers, vendors, or suppliers, for that matter. Sometimes you just don’t click with the people you need to do business with—but you’ll need to overcome that tension in order to get things done.
Inc. columnist Jeff Haden shares his tips for how to maintain or even foster a positive working relationship with the folks you wouldn’t add to your friends list.
June compliance calendar
Next week marks a new month, and with it comes our latest monthly compliance calendar. A few highlights for June 2022 include:
- Juneteenth federal holiday, observed on June 20 this year
- Due date for Q2 estimated tax payments
- Expiration of the IRS special accommodation for retirement plan participant benefit elections
Fresh from Gusto
- What is Form 943 and How Do I Fill it Out?
- What’s the Difference Between an Invoice and a Receipt?
- Case Study: Serenity Forge Manages Hybrid Growth through Gusto’s Modern HR Tools
JUN 7: Future of Work: Hybrid and Remote Workforce Trends
The world of work is changing in real time. Hybrid and remote work are here to stay as workers increasingly prioritize flexibility from their employers. Join Gusto on June 7 at 11am PT for a look at the data behind these trends—and see how real HR leaders are responding today. Register here.
Find the latest relief options in our Small Business Relief Finder.
Want more news and resources? Check out past editions in our archive.